Wednesday 4 February 2015

Did you know exactly what lies within the graveyard?

So after looking online I came to find there is quite some information on The Creggan Church and Graveyard it is known as one of the most important and historic properties in Ulster, which I found to be rather interesting. The Church was founded way back around 1450 with the arrival of the O'Neil's who apparently built their castle at Glass Drummond approximately Five minutes away from the graveyard. I read an article on discover Northern Ireland which informed me that:

All traces of the pre-reformation church have now disappeared although it is likely that the O’Neill family vault was situated underneath the earlier church as the remains of a doorway was found during recent repairs.The historic graveyard is the burial place of three eighteenth century Gaelic Irish poets: Art Mac Cooey, Pádraig Mac Aliondain and Séamus Mór Mac Murphy (poet and outlaw).


This was certainly a very interesting thing to find out as Art McCooey is the best known and last of the five Gaelic Poets from South East Ulster. Little did I know all this was on my doorstep!! I will also visit the church yard to search for the doorway into the O`Neil vault!




http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Creggan-Parish-Church-Graveyard-and-Visitors-Centre-Crossmaglen-Newry-P16312

No comments:

Post a Comment